Domestic Violence / Protection Orders
We have domestic abuse protection orders and harassment protection orders.¬† The relationship you have with the person you are filing against determines the order you would file.¬†We have the forms in our office needed to file for a protection order, or they can also be found on the State of Nebraska website.¬†
To file a protection order, you need to come to the Courthouse on 17th & Farnam.
- We are located on the 3rd floor.¬†
- You will need a daytime address for the person you are filing against.¬†
- You need a piece of valid government issued I.D. with your photograph and signature on it, because you are going to fill out an affidavit that needs to be notarized.
- Your affidavit will be seen by a Judge after it is filled out.
- The whole process takes approximately 1 hour.¬†
Every protection order is served by the Sheriff's department.¬† The order is not in effect until it is personally served.¬† Once the protection order has been served,the Respondent has 5 calendar days to notify the Court that they wish to contest the order if a Harassment Protection Order is signed, and Domestic Abuse Protection Orders will have a hearing set by the Judge when signed.¬† In either case, you will receive a letter in the mail with a court date and time that you need to attend.¬†
Our phone numbers are 402-444-4350, 402-444-4351, or 402-444-4352
Domestic Abuse Protection Order Forms:
Praecipe (used for both Harassment and Domestic Abuse protection orders)
Petition and Affidavit to Obtain Domestic Abuse Protection Order
Harassment Protection Order Forms:
Petition and Affidavit to Obtain Harassment Protection Order
Order Dismissing Petition
Request for Hearing (used for Harassment protection orders only)
LawHelp Interactive step-by-step document assistance
More information on Domestic Violence:
Douglas County Domestic Violence Council